Access - Is there more Granular Access or Template Design Ideas?

Hi All,
I wanted to see if there is a way to disable and/or configure the inability for users to “Add tasks” or another way to address the scenario below?

Scenario - we are using 1 XLR record for both Stage and PROD deployments and release activities. Dev handles Stage and Ops handles PROD deployments in 2 separate XLR phases.

If an issue is found in Stage, Dev should be able to Restart the Stage phase.

It appears that the 2 XLR Roles needed are - Edit Task and Edit Release for Restart phase.

Basically, do not want developers to directly add any tasks in a release and only restart a phase.

I am also open to other options as well so any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi there,

There is not really a way to achieve what you are looking for. More granular permissions are currently scheduled for the v9.1 release.

The closest I think we can come is to use lock tasks. This would not prevent adding tasks, but it would prevent changing important tasks.

Regards,
Adam

Thank you for the response!

Yes I really like the Lock Task and actively using it!

Thanks!

Hi Adam,

I had some follow-up questions.

When will 9.1 be released?

And would it be possible to let me know what those features would look like?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

It would be good to have a bit more of a discussion on what you are trying to achieve. What specifically are you trying to avoid by preventing “Devs” to add a task?

A way around this is to look at splitting the STAGE phase out as a separate template, this gives you the ultimate flexibility as to how many times that could be run/aborted and even the phase restart aspect.

The PROD template which could be chained onto the end of a successful STAGE could indeed be completely locked to the dev role.

Follow on discussion points:

1. What is the overall objective of the release process
  2. What do you think doing this in a single template give you that splitting prevents
    a) A single story of the release for audit purposes
    b) A single view of the progress
  1. Can you get the same outcomes by splitting the phases