I have worked out what the issue was in this case, it is incompatibility between urllib3 and requests module. In my environment, I have both xlr-ansible-tower-plugin and xlr-xlrelease-plugin installed.
1.15.1 <<< version of urllib3 in XLR v9.7.2 (working environment with both plugins installed)
1.25.9 <<< version of urllib3 in XLR v9.8.0/9.7.6 (issue occurs in this environment with both plugins installed)
2.19.1 <<< version of requests module shipped with xlr-xlrelease-plugin, according to documentations that are around urllib3 is only supported up to v
1.23.x for requests module
In my case, I have replaced the requests module within xlr-xlrelease-plugin-2.3.6.jar file with requests module v
2.24.0 , and that has resolved the issue across the board with ImportError: No module named ordered_dict. Further to that, if I do not install xlr-xlrelease-plugin , then I do not have this issue at all anyway and ansible-tower plugin also works fine in that case. Also, I have tested removing requests module from xlr-xlrelease-plugin-2.3.7.jar file and that also resolves the issue.